Michelmersh Manor Farm
We strive to make guests feel welcome from the moment they arrive to the time they leave.
Michelmersh Manor was first mentioned in 985, it remained crown property in Saxon times until 1043 when it was given to St. Swithun’s Priory, Winchester. The Manor Farm is first mentioned in 1205 as a large grange with a great hall, chapel and fortified gate head. Valuable grain, paid as tithes would have been stored in its big granary. There is evidence of Iron Age and Roman era occupation nearby and the farmhouse and associated buildings are of great medieval interest. Today the remaining existing structure is what is termed the Solar, where the Prior would have stayed whilst in residence. Adjacent to the Solar would have stood the Grand Hall where now is the garden wall closer to the house, where an original Grand Hall window is evident. The original Manor land included the now Compton Manor estate, up to King Somborne, over to Braishfield and back along the Test Valley around the Stoney Marsh area. Medieval Tithe records show yearly accounts of yield of crops and animals and costs of production down to the number of plough shares used!. (Steel then being an expensive commodity). Produce was sent back to St. Swithen’s Winchester to feed the Monastery’s inhabitants, The newer front part of the house along with the Tithe Barn dates back 275 years. The listed Tithe Barn is said to be the largest Tithe barn in Hampshire, set on 55 staddle stones.
Check-in times: 4:00pm . Checkout is 10:00am.
- Fuel and power included
- Enclosed garden / patio in The Manor
- Woodburning stove in The Manor, Archers Retreat and Monarchs View
- Short breaks all year
- Bed linen & towels included
- Washing machine and tumble dryer in the Manor
- Working farm
- 1 Pet allowed in Bluebells only
- Entrance ramp/level access to the manor
- Ample car parking – on site